Combining Housing & Employment.
The Roots of New Beginnings, Inc.
In 1933 the doors were opened to a homeless camp for men seeking work. It was one of three sites in Kansas. The south main street location had space for 500 men. When the WPA began, these men received real wage paying jobs. The men's talents provided infrastructure in the community; buildings and landscaping work done in Carey Park, work at the municipal airport, bridge work, canals and construction of buildings at the state fairgrounds in our community. They were also responsible for planting/building shelter belts to limit future dust bowls withing the county. These formerly homeless workers were also instrumental in starting the city's hot school lunch program.
- 1989 Housing for the Homeless opens a transitional shelter in an old boarding house
- 2000 Housing for the Homeless becomes New Beginnings Inc. and builds new shelter that doubles its capacity
- 2005 New Beginnings builds its first tax credit housing as solution to homelessness
- 2006 New Beginnings builds 9 houses with tax credits for future purchase
- 2008 New Beginnings builds another transitional housing complex using green/energy saving technology
- 2013 New Beginnings opens NOEL Lodge - an emergency overnight shelter
- 2015 New Beginnings becomes a Community Development Organization
- 2017 New Beginnings formalizes its jobs program into City wide Transitional Jobs Program